- For formaldehyde determination in biological samples, food, beverages, and the environment
- Fast and sensitive. Use of 50 μL sample. Linear detection range 1.2 to 500 μM Formaldehyde in 96-well plate assay.
- Convenient. The procedure involves adding a single working reagent and reading the absorbance after 30 minutes. Room temperature assay.
- High-throughput. “Add-mix-read” type assay. Can be readily automated as a high-throughput 96-well plate assay for thousands of samples per day.
- Biological samples, food, beverages, and the environment
- 30 min
- 100 tests in 96-well plate
- 6 months
FORMALDEHYDE (methanal) is the simplest aldehyde. It is widely employed in industry for a wide range of applications. Formaldehyde is also used as a disinfectant and is a commonly utilized tissue fixative and embalming agent. Formaldehyde is naturally present in all tissues and body fluids. Recently, it has been shown that some cancer types exhibit elevated formaldehyde levels. Increased formaldehyde concentration in urine has been associated with prostate and bladder cancer. Thus, measuring formaldehyde in urine can be a very useful tool when studying cancer.
BioAssay Systems’ formaldehyde assay kit is based on formaldehyde dehydrogenase catalyzed oxidation of formaldehyde, which generates formate and NADH that reduces a formazan (MTT) dye. The intensity of the reduced MTT, measured at 565 nm, is directly proportional to formaldehyde concentration in the sample.