PractiChrom™ Free Amino Nitrogen Assay Kit
- For quantitative determination of free amino nitrogen using the PiCO Explorer handheld absorbance reader.
- Fast and sensitive. Linear detection range (5 µL sample): 0.2 to 10 mM for 10 min reaction.
- Convenient. Assay performed with portable PiCO Explorer device.
- Cost efficient. No need for expensive plate readers.
- Foods and beverages (e.g. beer, wort, wine, must, etc.)
- 25 tests
- 0.2 mM
- 12 months
- FREE AMINO NITROGEN (FAN) is the main source of nitrogen necessary for yeast growth and proper fermentation. Fermentation of beer and wine is processed by yeast, which synthesize proteins using available amino acids. When making beer and wine, free amino nitrogen is extracted from amino acids during the formation of the wort or must.
BioAssay Systems' PractiChrom™ Free Amino Nitrogen Assay Kit measures alpha amino acids, ammonia, and end group amino nitrogens. The ninhydrin based reaction is a superior method for determining only alpha amino acids and ammonia compared to the traditional Kjeldahl, which measures nitrogen from all sources. Only requiring low sample volumes, the stable ninhydrin reagent provides a simple and accurate method for determining Free Amino Nitrogen concentrations.