EnzyChrom™ Formate Assay Kit
- Direct determination of formate concentrations in biological (e.g. urine, blood, etc.) and other samples.
- Fast and sensitive. Use of 10 µL sample. Linear detection range 0.050 to 5 mM Formate in 96-well plate assay.
- Convenient. The procedure involves adding a single working reagent, and reading the absorbance after 60 minutes. Room temperature assay. No 37°C heater is needed.
- High-throughput. "Add-mix-read" type assay. Can be readily automated as a high-throughput 96-well plate assay for thousands of samples per day.
- Urine, Serum etc
- 100 tests
- 50 μM
- 6 months
- FORMATE (HCOO-) is the anion derived from formic acid, the simplest carboxylic acid. It is also the metabolic byproduct of formaldehyde metabolism in our body, and the eventual metabolic byproduct of methanol which is first broken down to formaldehyde. At high levels, formate is neurotoxic to the central nervous system and can cause blindness, coma, and death. Although naturally present in the body at low levels, elevated levels of formate may be used as an indicator of formaldehyde exposure and methanol poisoning. BioAssay Systems formate assay kit is based on formate dehydrogenase catalyzed oxidation of formate, which generates carbon dioxide and NADH that reduces a formazan (MTT) dye. The intensity of the reduced MTT, measured at 565 nm, is directly proportional to formate concentration in the sample.
How do I store the kit?The Kit is shipped on ice. Upon receiving, please keep the kit in the freezer (-20 to -10°C)
Can I store unused reagents for future use?Yes, unused reagents can be stored according to the assay protocol. Repeated freeze/thaw cycles of reagents should be avoided, especially with enzymes; aliquot enzyme for storage to avoid unnecessary freeze/thaw cycles. Working reagent should be made fresh each day.
What samples have you tested?We have tested the kit thoroughly on human urine. We have also tested the kit on human serum and bovine serum. The assay has been tested on typical concentrations of EDTA, Heparin, and Citrate used for anticoagulation in plasma and they did not show any significant interferences.
Do I need to use a standard or standard curve with each assay run?Yes, it is highly recommended
Will the assay kit work in a 384 well plate, cuvette, etc?Yes, the assay can be used in any standard plate and cuvette. Simply adjust the total reaction volume to your container. For 384 well use 20-90 μL, for a cuvette use 1 mL (some narrow cuvettes can hold 200-500 μL).
Does the assay work with saliva samples?Yes, the assay has been tested and works with porcine saliva samples. Other saliva samples should work similarly.
For more detailed product information and questions, please feel free to Contact Us. Or for more general information regarding our assays, please refer to our General Questions.