QuantiChrom™ Carbonyl Assay Kit
- Quantification of carbonyl groups or protein carbonyls in biological samples.
- Fast and sensitive. Use of 100 µL sample. Linear detection range from 12 to 250 µM carbonyl in 96-well plate assay.
- Convenient. The procedure involves adding a single working reagent, and reading the absorbance after 30 min.
- High-throughput. Homogeneous "mix-incubate-measure" type assay. Can be readily automated on HTS liquid handling systems for processing thousands of samples per day.
- Chemicals with carbonyl groups (e.g. ketones, aldehydes) or protein carbonyls in biological samples (e.g. oxidized BSA, etc.)
- 100 tests
- 12 µM
- 12 months
- CARBONYL groups, such as ketones and aldehydes, are a commonindicator of protein oxidation. Protein oxidation is caused as a result of exposure to reactive oxygen species (ROS) and is a common marker in various diseases as well as aging. BioAssay Systems' Carbonyl Assay Kit is based on an improved method, where 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine (DNPH) reacts with carbonyl groups to produce a colored compound at 375 nm. The intensity of this colored compound is directly proportional to the carbonyl groups in the sample.
The background is very high. Is this normal?The background absorbance is typically ~ 0.5. This is completely normal.
Can I store the diluted standards (250 µM, 150 µM, 75 µM, and 0 µM) to use for later?We recommend preparing the standards fresh from the 50 mM each day.
Do I need to run a standard curve with every assay?Yes.
How should I store the kit?The kit is shipped at room temperature. Upon delivery, store at -20°C.
Precipitate formed when I added the reagent to the sample. What should I do?The Reagent is acidic and may cause precipitation in samples that have significant amounts of protein. You may need to dilute your sample, repeat the assay, and correct for the dilution factor in the calculation.
What is the Carbonyl Standard?The standard is pyruvate, which has two carbonyl groups per molecule. So the 50 mM Carbonyl Standard is actually 25 mM pyruvate.
For more detailed product information and questions, please feel free to Contact Us. Or for more general information regarding our assays, please refer to our General Questions.